FMH State College

STATE COLLEGE

ORIGINALLY A SMALL FARMING VILLAGE, STATE COLLEGE GREW AROUND PENN STATE UNIVERSITY, WHICH WAS FOUNDED AS FARMER’S HIGH SCHOOL IN 1855. THE BOROUGH WAS INCORPORATED IN 1896, ALTHOUGH IT REALLY NEVER HAD AN OFFICIAL NAME. SEVERAL WERE CONSIDERED, INCLUDING NITTANY, MCALLISTER, AND IRVIN, ALL HONORING PROMINENT LOCAL FARMERS AND THEIR LAND ON WHICH THE TOWN WAS BUILT. IN 1953, PENN STATE CHANGED ITS NAME FROM ‘COLLEGE TO UNIVERSITY AND IT’S PRESIDENT, MILTON S. EISEMHOWER, SOUGHT TO PERSUADE STATE COLLEGE TO CHANGE ITS NAME AS WELL. A REFERENDUM FAILED TO YEILD A MAJORITY AROUND ANY OF THE NEW NAME CHOICES, SO THE NAME STATE COLLEGE BOROUGH STUCK. TODAY, PENN STATE CONTINUES TO BE THE DRIVING FORCE BEHIND STATE COLLEGE’S ECONOMICS, DEMOGRAPHICS, AND HISTORY – AND THE BOROUGH REMAINS THE MAIN HUB OF TRAVEL AND TOURISM ACTIVITY IN THE CENTRE REGION. MORE THAN 42-THOUSAND PEOPLE CALL STATE COLLEGE HOME, AND THE POPULATION TYPICALLY DOUBLES WHEN UNIVERSITY CLASSES ARE IN SESSION.

*(Information sourced from: The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation and The Happy Valley Adventure Bureau)

Entitlement Sponsor

Community Sponsors