1. Engage in a variety of interesting and potential beneficial activities, remaining alert to alternative opportunities.
2. In academics, seek training in horizontally integrated fields, not just progressive vertically integrated silos.
3. Be curious. It is the lifeblood of discovery and growth.
4. Uncertainty is sometimes called Òthe creeping dread.Ó Embrace it. Be willing to enter situations in which you have less control than you would normally desire.
5. Overcome complacency with a belief in your own abilities. Actions and outcomes often follow beliefs.
6. Create supportive networks. The connection to others has consistently been shown to predict health, longevity, opportunity, and resilience, while the absence of connection to others predicts depression
7. Become Protean: Develop flexibility and tolerance of change yourself so as to adapt to any situation.