With the Mega Millions lottery at a stunning $790-million dollars, there are some things you need to know if you actually win.
These tips come from lottery boards, insurance companies and private wealth management companies, so it’s sound advice.
- Watch out for lottery scams. Mega Millions staff will never call, text or e-mail anyone about winning a prize
- Get advice from a respectable team of financial advisors
- Get a good legal team
- Secure the ticket. State Farm says you should make several copies of the ticket
- Protect your privacy. Keep your win under wraps
- Make a plan for the money
- Don’t make any quick decisions
- Ask professionals if you should take the lump sum or the annual payment
The next drawing is tomorrow night and the jackpot could go over the current amount by then.