Does your friend’s cat always run away when you visit? Cats are tough, and there might not be much you can do about it. But you can still try. Here are seven ways to make a cat like you . . .
1. Let them come to you. A study in Switzerland found they’re more likely to approach if you ignore them. And another study found interactions last longer if they initiate them.
2. Get down on their level. They’re less likely to feel intimidated when you’re down low.
3. Hold one finger out. You might have already noticed they like it. Researchers think it’s because cats greet each other nose-to-nose. So your finger simulates that.
4. Only pet them where they like it. In general, that’s their face, head, and chin. Most cats don’t like their back, stomach, feet, or tail to be touched at all.
5. Play with them more. They’ll start to feel more comfortable around you if you do. And if they’re active during the day, they’re more likely to sleep with you at night.
6. Talk to them while they eat. It helps them associate your voice with the good feelings they get from food.
7. If it’s a kitten, handle them a lot. Cats that get picked up a lot as kittens tend to be friendlier toward humans as adults. But don’t pick them up when they’re eating, sleeping, or cleaning themselves. It stresses them out. (Stars Insider)