Suffering from a Fear of Missing Out? Perhaps this will help. . .
1. Relish feeling out of the loop. Great things are indeed happening out there and sometimes you’re not invited. Admit that you are missing out and there’s nothing you can do about it. In fact, one approach may be to savor the fact. Blogger and entrepreneur Anil Dash wrote about the “Joy of Missing Out,” a term he coined to describe the satisfaction of doing things on his own terms.
2. Take a hiatus from social media. Try staying offline for a day, a week, or maybe even a month.
3. Use software to avoid succumbing to FOMO. Apps such as Moment for iOS, Space for Android, RescueTime for Windows, or SelfControl for Mac generate reports to help users see just how much time they spend online and set time limits.
4. Delete social media apps. It is not as radical as quitting Facebook altogether but is a quick and relatively easy way to reduce social media use when you are away from the computer.
5. Get a detox. For those who need a full-on intervention, do a digital detox. Unplug and do something you want to do.