With active volcanoes in the news in Iceland and Indonesia, we thought it’d be a good time to check out this list of The Top Cool Things You Didn’t Know About Volcanoes.
- Lava emerges from volcanoes at a slightly lower temperature than your Hot Pocket from a microwave.
- One out of every four contains a supervillain’s secret hideout.
- They can be active, dormant, or extinct . . . kind of like the careers of the Baldwin brothers.
- Every year volcanoes compete with potato clocks for the title of “Lamest Science Fair Project.”
- Lava moves so slowly that it sometimes needs a Walmart scooter.
- Volcanoes are like the Oscars: we watch them because we know they’re going to blow.
- Not all volcanoes are giant, cone-shaped mountains . . . but those seem to be the ones guys are most attracted to.
- There has not been a movie where The Rock stops a volcano from exploding. Yet.