It’s Election Day so there’s no better time than now for this list of The Top Things You’d Be Surprised to Know About Election Day.
- It involves two things Americans don’t like: Participating in their democracy and counting.
- We vote on Tuesday because it was the most convenient day of the week for farmers. And tacos.
- It’s okay to proudly display those “I Voted” stickers on social media . . . unless it’s on your junk.
- Candidates used to bribe voters with booze. Unlike today’s candidates, who just make us DRINK booze.
- Even though we pretend it’s all uncomplicated and fair, the actual rules are about as easy to understand as offsides in soccer.
- It’s illegal to post a photo of your ballot . . . unless there’s a Kardashian somewhere in frame.
- The United States has notoriously low voter turnout. Because Americans only like to stand in line for important things like Popeyes chicken sandwiches.
- It’s not nearly as lit as Arbor Day, but it’s still a party.