The 2020 finalists for the National Toy Hall of Fame have been announced. The 12 finalists include:
– Baby Nancy – Created in 1968, Baby Nancy was a baby doll with a dark complexion and textured hair. It began a long-standing demand for ethnically correct Black dolls that the mainstream market had failed to deliver previously.
– Breyer Horses – molded plastic horses that realistically captured the spirt and magic of, uh, horses.
– Lite-Brite – The black screen and little plastic pegs your dad would step on in the middle of the night.
– Masters of the Universe – Action figures which include the iconic He-Man and She-Ra
– My Little Pony – The mini-horses that have enchanted children and emotionally stunted young men for years,
– Risk – The game that taught young teens everywhere that they had the potential to be Hitler.
– Sidewalk chalk
– Sorry! – The horrible game that’s only slightly less worse than Candyland for its profound tedium and ability to create immediate disinterest by all players.
– Tamagotchi – The digital pet you tried to keep alive.
Fans can vote for their favorite finalists from Sept. 9 to Sept. 16 at ToyHallOfFame.org. The three toys that receive the most public votes will be submitted and join the other top-three submissions by members of the National Selection Advisory Committee. The final 2020 toy inductees will be announced on November 5.