The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is out with its 2020 inductees, with six groups or individual artists making the cut, reports Billboard:
· Who’s in: Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails, the Notorious B.I.G., Depeche Mode, the Doobie Brothers, and T. Rex.
· Who didn’t make it: Others on the ballot were Pat Benatar, Dave Matthews Band, Judas Priest, Kraftwerk, MC5, Motörhead, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Todd Rundgren, Soundgarden, and Thin Lizzy. (DMB won the “fans’ ballot but didn’t get enough votes from critics, previous winners, and music execs,” notes the Wall Street Journal.)
If you ever road-trip to Cleveland to see the Rock Hall for yourself, here are some things you shouldn’t be surprised to overhear…
- Is this where rappers get all the stuff they sample?
- Can we hurry up so we can go explore that wild Cleveland night-life?
- Elton John, Queen-wait, those movies were based on real people?
- Is there an animatronic James Brown?
- Is Pete Rose eligible?
- Should I have taken acid for this?
- Did you know that Jimi Hendrix released albums before he died too?
- Is that how you spell R.E.M.?
- Did they at least induct Meat Loaf into the museum food court?
- So-at one time music was made with musical instruments?
- Are you telling me that Kajagoogoo isn’t represented here at all?
- Can we go home now, Grandpa?