MARIAH CAREY is famous for her classic song “All I Want for Christmas Is You”. But for some people, all they want for Christmas is . . . to be Mariah Carey. And now, you can!
Mariah sat down with “Cosmo” and shared her NINE-STEP blueprint for celebrating Christmas EXACTLY like she does. Here it is:
1. Get in the “zen Christmas zone.” She said, quote, “I will only allow a harmonious day . . . you have to comply or you can get out. That’s how you avoid the arguments. You’re not invited if you’re going to cause any drama.”
2. Book a flight to Aspen. Quote, “Usually we’re in Aspen. When I get off the plane, our drivers have ‘All I Want For Christmas’ playing, and we have hot cocoa and some butterscotch schnapps. “Then, we’ll go through the woods on a two-horse open sleigh, with blankets and real reindeer. It’s freezing cold, but it’s beautiful and you’re looking at the stars. It’s an incredible moment.” (Well, yeah. Who HASN’T done that?)
3. Do some last-minute shopping. She said she never gets a chance to shop during the year, since she usually has a stylist do it for her. But at Christmas time, she thinks it’s nice to be in “that environment.”
4. Invite Santa Claus over for Christmas Eve. Quote, “This is the one time I’ll usually be in the kitchen. Often there’s a sous chef, I’m not going to lie. I cook a couple of different things . . . secret family recipes from my dad . . .”Then Santa comes and hangs out with us. We take pictures by the tree. Then I’ll encourage everybody to sleep in a little bit later because I’m not an early riser.”
5. Open presents on Christmas morning. Finally something relatable for “normal” people. Well, sort of. Mariah said, quote, “I put on something I feel is Christmassy, some kind of fun little pajamas or a onesie, something cute, and have some eggnog while we’re opening the presents. “All the kids care about is their iPads at the moment. They just want apps and games . . . for me, just the kids’ love is all I really need. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want things bought from the shop. I love that, too.”
6. Make sure you have at least two Christmas trees. You’ll need a 19-foot tree for the living room, and a tree for the bedroom. (???) Mariah also does a third tree in the family room and calls that the Charlie Brown tree. Quote, “It’s a sad little tree we decorate with Polaroid pictures of ourselves and draw funny stuff on it.”
7. Cook up a storm. Mariah said she works with her sous chef to make turkey, mashed potatoes, cherry pie, apple pie, vegetables, cranberry sauce, and stuffing.
She added, quote, “Sometimes we may do sprouts. [But] it’s not like number one on my list of must-haves . . . I don’t need them.”
8. Play party games and binge on festive films. Mariah plays “Taboo” every year, and sometimes “Head’s Up”, which is like “Taboo”. And she only allows her family to watch Christmas movies . . . that’s it.
9. Make the ultimate holiday playlist. She said she really likes listening to the classics . . . Nat King Cole and Judy Garland. And she needs the holiday music to be playing all day and all night. Quote, “If I wake up and there’s no Christmas music playing I get very annoyed and have to handle it.”