Are you annoying people at work without even realizing it? See if you have any of these bad work habits . . .
- Eating smelly food at your desk. Some of the worst offenders are hard-boiled eggs, broccoli, tuna, and seafood in general.
- Asking too many questions. Asking questions is fine. Just try not to ask too many work-related questions, or you’ll look like you can’t figure stuff out on your own. And asking a lot of personal questions is risky for other reasons.
- Being a slob. A messy desk is one thing. People might judge you, but probably won’t hate you for it. Just don’t be a slob in common areas, like the kitchen. It makes you seem irresponsible, arrogant, and immature.
- Interrupting people all the time. You can definitely interject. But in general, make sure you just respect people enough to let them finish a thought. Otherwise, it looks like you don’t have good judgement, or you’re impatient.
- Talking to people in the bathroom while they’re in one of the stalls. At the sink is fine. And the urinal, still fine. But if they’re in a stall, leave them alone. It just feels awkward and intrusive.