1. Yes, you will love/date/have sex again. It seems damn-near impossible at the moment, but someone will come along who you will feel attracted to again. And they’ll feel that way about you, too.
2. Lean on your friends, but not forever. You get about a solid month of non-stop attention-seeking behavior for your friends, but then you have to start to scale back.
3. There is no time limit in which you “have to” be over someone. If you try to force it to end too early, it’ll just be worse. Let your sadness breathe and go away in its own time.
4. Also, that’s not wallowing. It’s healthy. Anyone who calls that “wallowing” has forgotten what breaking up with someone is like.
5. It’s totally fine to hate your ex for a minute. But try not to hold onto that anger forever.
6. Keeping tabs on them, even occasionally, is highly likely to rip off your emotional scab. There he is on Instagram, holding a baby, that’s nice. Does anyone have any liquor?
7. No drunk communication – no texting, no GChatting, no nothing. Unfortunately, you might have to learn this the hard way, after repeatedly having stomach-churning emotionally charged conversations that you will regret in the morning.
8. Your worth is not tied to another person.
9. It didn’t work because it wasn’t right. This is the most important lesson, because it’ll help you move on and find a partner who is right for you.