Most of the country is being hit with a massive winter storm, here are a few things you should never leave in your car when it’s freezing outside . . .
1. Your cell phone, aka emergency phone. You’re not going to leave your iPhone or your daily use phone in the car, but you have an “emergency” phone stashed just in case. Don’t. If it gets too cold it can cause the phone to shut off or, worse, mess up the battery. And the screen may crack more easily in the cold as well.
2. Soda / beer / liquid beverages. They’re mostly water, which expands when it freezes. So they can explode and get all over your car.
3. Canned foods. You might keep them in your car because of an emergency. But, as the same as with soda . . . the water can freeze and expand, which could break the can’s seal and cause the food to spoil.
4. Wood based musical instruments, like a guitar. The wood can crack if it’s too cold. And even if that doesn’t happen, they’ll definitely drift out of tune. You’re a bad guitar dad/mom if you do this.
5. A low gas tank. Keeping your tank more than half full helps prevent fuel lines from freezing. Don’t be cold AND stuck! It’s also a good idea to check other fluids such as antifreeze. And the cold can affect tire pressure, so keep an eye on that too.