Things You Absolutely Need to Keep In Mind When Meeting Her Parents
1. Don’t Show Up Empty-Handed. Not only should you bring something, you should also do some homework to make sure that your gift of choice will jive with the person you’re gifting it to.
2. Dress to Impress. In just about any scenario, it’s usually better to be overdressed than underdressed. In this particular situation, that extra effort will most definitely be appreciated.
3. Do Your Homework. The best way to avoid finding yourself in an awkward conversation with her parents where you accidentally bring up a sore spot is to do your homework in advance.
4. Mind Your Manners. It’s important to keep in mind that every household operates a little bit differently in terms of what’s acceptable and what’s considered rude. So make sure you get on the same page with your S.O. before you meet everyone.
5. Engage In Conversation. Don’t just sit there waiting for someone at the dinner table to ask you questions.
6. Pay Sincere Compliments. Parents are excellent b.s. detectors. So if you’re going to pay them a compliment (and you should), be sure that you’re giving one that comes off as sincere – not just an empty compliment for the sake of being polite.
7. Keep the PDA to a Minimum. A peck on the lips in front of the parents is sweet, but a full-on make out is tacky.
8. Don’t Criticize. This tip goes twofold. First off, you may think that it’s OK to bond with your girlfriend’s parents over her bad habits. But the early stages of getting to know her parents is just not the right time for this kind of conversation – even if it’s in jest.