The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back, and it shouldn’t surprise you that they aren’t very healthy. Here’s what happens to your body when you drink a grande Pumpkin Spice Latte with 2% milk and whipped cream . . .
1. After five minutes. Drinking something sweet activates your brain’s reward system and triggers the release of endorphins. But if you’re sensitive to a preservative called potassium sorbate, you might start to get a headache.
2. After 15 minutes. The 12 teaspoons of sugar you just drank raise your blood sugar levels, but the 14 grams of fat from the milk and whipped cream slow the spike. So you don’t feel as hyper as you would after drinking a can of soda.
3. After 20 minutes. Your blood sugar continues to rise, which triggers the release of insulin. And you should be feeling slightly energetic, as the caffeine kicks in. But if you’re sensitive to it, it can act as a laxative.
4. After 30 minutes. As your body absorbs the fat, triglycerides enter your blood stream. And over time, high triglyceride levels can clog your blood vessels, raise your cholesterol, and increase your risk of heart disease.
5. After four hours. Your blood sugar crashes, so you start to crave food. And since your triglyceride levels are still elevated, a low-fat option is your body’s best bet. (Cosmopolitan)