We all check our phones when we get into bed. But it’s really NOT good for our sleep. In fact, a new study found that a third of Americans aren’t getting enough sleep. So here are six things you should do before bed INSTEAD of staring at a little screen . . .
- Read. Research shows that reading before bed can help improve sleep.
- Take a warm bath or shower. When you take a steamy bath or shower, it brings up your body temperature . . . then it slowly cools down once you get out. And that gives you the perfect body temperature for falling asleep.
- Have sex. Sex produces the feel-good hormone oxytocin, and decreases the stress hormone cortisol, which helps you relax.
- Drink some tea. Just avoid anything with caffeine. Stick to herbal teas like chamomile or peppermint.
- Listen to music. Calming music, obviously. Anything upbeat would have the opposite effect.