February 5, 2016
According to Pet MD, if you’re throwing a party for the “Big Game” this weekend, here are five foods that could be dangerous for your PET.
- Alcohol. Just a few ounces of beer or another alcoholic drink can cause ethanol poisoning in dogs and cats. Signs of poisoning include peeing themselves, hypothermia, slowed breathing, and even heart attacks.
- Soda. Caffeinated drinks can cause restlessness, breathing issues, heart palpitations, and muscle tremors.
- Chicken wings. The bones can cause choking or intestinal obstruction, but the salt is bad for them too. Just ONE buffalo wing has the daily recommended amount of sodium for a 20-pound dog. And too much salt can cause high blood pressure and contribute to kidney and heart disease.
- Chocolate. They have to eat a lot of it, but there’s a compound in chocolate called theobromine that’s poisonous to dogs and cats. And it’s in stuff like brownies and cookies too. Chocolate poisoning can cause heart arrhythmias, muscle tremors, and seizures.
- Guacamole. Too much avocado, garlic, and onion can cause gastrointestinal issues, elevated heart rate, red blood cell damage, vomiting, and diarrhea.