We found a huge list online of weird ways you can make food last longer. We’d seen most of them before, but here are five that are pretty good.
- Use cooking spray on leftover guacamole. Apparently it keeps it from turning brown better than lemon juice. You can also do it with avocados.
- Don’t store potatoes and onions together. Onions release a gas that can make potatoes sprout faster. But storing potatoes with APPLES can actually PREVENT them from sprouting.
- Wrap the stems of your bananas with plastic wrap. Do it while they’re still together in a bunch. They should stay ripe three to five days longer, especially if they’re organic.
- Put a paper towel in with extra salad. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. The towel sucks up some of the moisture, so the lettuce stays crisp.
- Clean your refrigerator. Once something goes bad in there, it can leave mold behind. And that can make OTHER things go bad.